Hair loss in women is a real thing. It is a frustrating, scary, and unfair thing. No woman wants to see thinning hair or bald patches when she looks in the mirror.
So, what do we do? We fight it. We fight tooth and nail to have a full head of hair.
We massage, we wash, we condition, we take pills, we cry a little, and we try some pretty epic DIY hair masks.
You may be thinking, hair masks?! Yes. We slather our hair in masks to moisturize, to reduce oil, or to keep it from falling out. And there are numerous ways to create those masks in our very own kitchens.
We have compiled a list of masks that help to reduce hair loss for you along with the benefits behind the ingredients.
Which Masks Help With Hair Loss?
Yogurt Hair Mask
Who would’ve thought that plain yogurt has multiple benefits when applied topically to hair? Studies have shown that yogurt is good for minimizing damage and baldness while also keeping the ends of the hair healthier and improving color. Yogurt also adds shine and keeps hair in the active phase of growth.
- Ingredients: 1 T honey, 1 T apple cider vinegar, 1 C yogurt
- Instructions: Mix ingredients together in a container and then apply the mix to the entire shaft of hair. Leave the mask on for 15 minutes and rinse with cool water.
- Benefits: Minimizes breakage, nourishes, moisturizes
Strawberry Hair Mask
Strawberries not only help to whiten teeth, but they also fight off free radicals responsible for losing our hair. These delicious red berries are rich in antioxidants and vitamin C. We need both of these elements to maintain a full head of hair.
- Ingredients: 1 T of honey-almond, 1 T coconut oil, 3-4 strawberries
- Instructions: Blend the ingredients until smooth and apply it to the entire shaft of the hair. Leave it on for 20 minutes and rinse with cool water.
- Benefits: Strengthens, minimizes hair loss, opens pores, fights oiliness
This may be a rather smelly mask, but it works with every hair type. Eggs are high in B vitamins and protein which are both great for your hair. Egg yolk has been said to encourage hair growth in the cells responsible for hair formation, growth, and cycling.
- Ingredients: 2 T lemon juice, 2 T olive oil, 1 C milk, 1 egg
- Instructions: Whisk the egg and mix with remaining ingredients. Put the mask on your hair and rub it into the entire shaft. Pop a shower cap over your head and leave it on for twenty minutes. Then, rinse with cold water.
- Benefits: stimulates hair growth, increases shine, nourishes hair, reduces hair loss
Banana Hair Mask
This tropical-ish mask is like a smoothie for your hair. Bananas are a readily available way to make a mask. They are high in vitamins, moisturizing oils, potassium, and antioxidants.
- Ingredients: 1T honey, 1 T coconut oil, 1 T olive oil, 2 bananas
- Instructions: Blend ingredients in a bowl until smooth. Massage this into your scalp and hair. Let it sit for 5 minutes and wash it out with warm water.
- Benefits: moisturizes, softens, and shines the hair, as well as reduces damage and dandruff
Curry Leaves And Coconut Oil Hair Mask
Curry leaves are fabulous for the hair. They are known for encouraging hair growth, preventing early gray hair, and maintaining your natural hair color. Coconut oil goes deep into the hair and it’s natural fat content fights against protein loss.
- Ingredients: 2 T coconut oil, 10-12 curry leaves
- Instructions: Cook the curry leaves in coconut oil until you hear them pop, then turn it off. When it reaches a lukewarm temp, you can put it on your hair and scalp. Leave it for 20 minutes and shampoo it out with very warm water. *Do this twice per week for best results.
- Benefits: nourishing, moisturizing, minimizes hair loss
Avocado Hair Mask
It has been said that if you had only one food to survive on a desert island, avocado would be the best choice. It’s an amazing source of omega-3 fatty acids, iron, vitamin C, niacin, and vitamin B—all of which are fabulous for growing healthy locks.
- Ingredients: 1 T almond oil, ½ C milk, 1 T olive oil, 1 small avocado
- Instructions: Process ingredients together until smooth and apply the mix to the entire shaft of hair. Leave this on your hair for about 15 minutes and wash it out with cool water.
- Benefits: adds moisture and decreases frizz, breakage, and split ends
Castor Oil Hair Mask
We don’t always associate castor oil with our hair. Normally, I associate castor oil with tummy troubles. But, castor oil is actually fabulous for hair because it is high in proteins.
- Ingredients: 1 egg, 2 T brandy, 2 T castor oil
- Instructions: Blend ingredients together, then apply the mask to your hair and scalp. Leave it on for 30 minutes and rinse it out with cool water.
- Benefits: stimulates hair growth, fights frizz, fights the grays
Rosemary Hair Mask
Rosemary extract has been shown to stimulate hair growth. So making a mask out of rosemary is a fantastic way to reduce hair loss.
- Ingredients: 1 cup of water, 3 T diced rosemary
- Instructions: Boil the rosemary in the water for 3 minutes, strain it, let it cool, and rub it into your scalp. Keep the mask on your hair for 15 minutes and rinse with tepid water.
- Benefits: reduces free radicals, fortifies the hair follicle, stimulates hair growth
Cinnamon can be considered nature’s minoxidil. It has been said to stimulate hair growth and it’s girth. A cinnamon mask can also naturally lighten the hair.
- Ingredients: hair balsam, powdered cinnamon, raw honey
- Instructions: Blend honey and cinnamon together in a quantity that will completely cover your hair. Add in the balsam. Apply this to your hair with a brush, making certain not to touch the scalp or face. Put your hair in a bun and cover it with a shower cap until it has completely dried. Rinse repeatedly with water until all of the cinnamon is out, then wash and condition.
- Benefits: antibacterial, antifungal, good for the circulation
Green Tea Hair Mask
Green tea is often touted for its many benefits to our bodies. Did you know it isn’t just for drinking? Your hair can reap the benefits of EGCG and antioxidants.
- Ingredients: 2 T of green tea and 1 egg yolk
- Instructions: Blend the ingredients until creamy and use a brush to put it on your scalp and hair. Leave it for 20 minutes, rinse with cool water, and follow with shampoo and conditioner.
- Benefits: fights free radicals and hair loss, nourishes with proteins
Vitamin E Hair Mask
Vitamin E is great for the body. It has anti-aging benefits, it’s antifungal and anti-inflammatory, plus it has tocopherol to stimulate hair growth.
- Ingredients: 1 t castor oil, 1 T almond oil, 1 T coconut oil, 3 drops lavender essential oil, 2 vitamin e capsules
- Instructions: Mix the ingredients together. (You can make a large batch and store in a glass jar.) Massage the mask into your hair, put on a shower cap, and sleep on it. Use shampoo to rinse it out the following morning.
- Benefits: fortify roots, fights free radicals, maintains a healthy scalp, diminishes hair loss
Do Hair Masks Work?
Each one of these hair masks can benefit your hair in different ways. The recipes were specifically developed to reduce hair loss without heading to a salon or other inconvenient office.
Are they messy? Some more than others. Are they smelly? Again, some more than others. Yet they all have a few things in common: they are simple to make, they are easy to apply, and they are all good for your hair.
Some of the masks stimulate hair regrowth and some prevent further hair loss. Either way, each type of mask has been shown to be beneficial and to have zero negative side effects.
Do you know what makes using a mask even better? All of these masks can be used in conjunction with Keranique products to help you regrow thicker, fuller, healthier hair.
That is absolutely a win win for ladies who are struggling through hair loss.
Keranique’s approach includes easy to use, effective treatments that promote the Strength, Growth & Beauty of Hair. We’ve coupled this with a connective community that serves and supports women as she addresses her hair health needs.
Click here to learn more on how you can regrow your hair with Keranique in only 3 steps!
Please SHARE with your friends and family who may be interested in the Keranique Hair Regrowth System and want to learn more about how it works!
Please Take Care of Your Hair and Don’t Forget to Take Care of You!