There are so many different shampoos and conditioners out there that it can be confusing to try to pick one. It can also be confusing to choose which shampoos and conditioners work together to help you achieve all of your hair goals. When considering a shampoo and conditioner, you should take a look at your scalp type and hair type to determine how to cleanse your hair as a whole, properly. Shampoo is really only meant to clean your scalp and should be used on your scalp. Conditioner is meant to moisturize the ends of your hair.
Think about your scalp. Does it tend to get oily or greasy quickly? Or does it get dry and itchy? Do you have dandruff? Does your hair change with the seasons? For example, your hair might be greasier in the summer and dry out in the winter. You may only get dandruff in the winter. Fortunately, no matter the condition, there is a shampoo and conditioner combination that you can use. You would just have to pay attention to your body and do some research. OR, you can read this article and get the insight you need 😊.
If you have an oily or greasy scalp, this can potentially lead to thinning hair. When you start your search for a shampoo, you should look for labels that mention balancing, strengthening, and volumizing. You should avoid hydrating and moisturizing shampoos. A clarifying shampoo can also help you get rid of extra oil and buildup every week or so. Just don’t use it too often or it could dry out your scalp which could actually lead to more oil production because your scalp is trying to catch up.
For greasy hair, you can also try double washing. This is simply the use of two shampoos to help achieve your hair goals. You will first use a shampoo that controls oil on your roots and another to cleanse right below your roots, but not your ends. Be sure to rinse your hair very well. You could also use a rinse of diluted apple cider vinegar to get rid of buildup and balance the oils in your scalp.
If your scalp is dry, flaky, or itchy you will want to look for moisturizing, hydrating, or smoothing shampoos. If you have curly hair, make sure you get a shampoo that helps moisturize and define curls. Avoid volumizing or strengthening shampoos as you probably have thicker, coarse hair that doesn’t need any additional volume.
If you experience dandruff and an itchy scalp, look for products specifically designed to ease the discomfort and get rid of dandruff. You may only need to use this type of shampoo for certain times during the year or once a week. You will want to avoid shampoos that contain sulfates because those are very drying. If you have extreme dandruff and itchiness, your doctor may prescribe you a medicated shampoo until the problem clears up.
Next, you’ll want to choose a conditioner based on your hair type and what shape the ends of your hair are in. If your hair is thinning and oily, you will want to look for a volumizing or balancing conditioner. If your hair is dry or damaged, you will want to look for a hydrating or moisturizing conditioner. If your hair is extremely dry or damaged, look into using a hair mask or deep conditioning treatment to use about once a week.
Also make a note of the natural state of your hair. Is it wavy, curly, or straight? What Type of hair style or texture are you looking to achieve? For instance, if your hair is naturally curly and you want to enhance that natural curl, you will want to look for a curl-defining conditioner and even a leave-in conditioner or mousse. If you have wavy hair but like to wear it straight and smooth, look for a smoothing conditioner that contains ingredients to defrizz your hair and soften it.
Here are some different shampoo and conditioner options to choose from:
- Keranique Scalp Stimulating Shampoo is for thinning, fine hair. If your hair is very sensitive and doesn’t do well with harsh cleansers, this is a great choice for you. It is sulfate-free and designed to deep clean your hair while stimulating the scalp to promote hair growth. It also contains Keratin and Pro-Vitamin B5 to clean effectively and quickly. Not only that, it gives you shiny hair without the greasy look, detangles your hair, removes buildup, and protects against damage.
- If the Scalp Stimulating Shampoo sounds good to you, but you also need some deep hydration, try the NEW Deep Hydration Scalp Stimulating Shampoo. It has the same benefits but is a new formula designed to balance your hair for its best look.
- If you have color-treated hair, try Keranique Scalp Revitalizing Shampoo Color Boost. It contains True Tone Technology which reduces color loss and color fade that can happen after getting your hair colored. It keeps your hair hydrated and prevents damage that can happen when you keep coloring your hair.
- If you have damaged hair, try Keranique Scalp Replenishing Shampoo. It is sulfate and paraben-free. It is very moisturizing and helps smooth the hair cuticle while preventing future damage.
- If you have curly or texturized hair, try Keranique Curl Preserve Shampoo. It is specially designed to gently cleanse hair while promoting beautiful curls. Make sure to pair it with Keranique Curl Preserve Conditioner.
- If you have thinning hair, pair the shampoo of your choice with Keranique Volumizing Keratin Conditioner. It is a light cream-gel conditioner that helps to thicken and volumize fine hair and boost volume. It will not weigh down your hair.
- If you have dry hair, try Keranique NEW Deep Hydration Volumizing Conditioner. It works similarly to the original conditioner but provides deep hydration for those who need a boost.
- Lastly, you can try Keranique Replenishing Keratin Conditioner. It helps damaged hair. It has lots of nutrients to deliver hydration mostly found in hair masks. However, you only have to leave it on for two minutes to hydrate the most coarse, dry hair. It also protects your hair and prevents damage.
What kind of scalp and what kind of hair do you have? Do you think you should be switching up your shampoo and conditioner?
If you enjoyed this article, please SHARE with your friends and family who are interested in learning more about shampoos and conditioners!