Extreme stress and anxiety can actually make you lose your hair or cause it to start to thin. If you are experiencing stress and you are losing your hair, see a doctor to learn if you have a condition that may be causing this. If your doctor simply recommends that you lower your stress levels, work on reducing the stress in your life.

So, how exactly does stress cause hair loss? There are several different conditions that connect stress and hair loss. For example, a condition called Alopecia Areata happens when large clumps of hair around your scalp fall out suddenly. This is due to stress and can happen during a large life change, such as getting divorced or having a baby.

Stress can also cause you to pull your hair out, literally. A condition called Trichotillomania causes people to pick and pull out their hair. Often, they don’t even realize they are doing it. It can be described as a nervous habit, to the extreme.

When you notice your hair falling out more than usual, it is called Telogen Effluvium . Of course, everyone loses hair every day, but large clumps are not often normal. Basically, stress can cause your hair follicles to go into a “resting phase.” This means they are not producing new hair strands to replace the ones that fall out.

If you are experiencing hair loss due to stress, first see your doctor. Then, work on lowering your stress levels. Take some time off, do some activities that you love, be around those that make you happy, eat right and exercise, and be sure to laugh! Supplements or medications recommended by a doctor or therapist can also help reduce stress levels so your hair stops falling out.

Have you ever experienced hair loss that was just from stress? How did you deal with it? If you found this article informative, please SHARE with your friends and family who might be dealing with this common issue!

8 thoughts on “How Stress Can Lead to Hair Loss

1. Valerie Judkins says:

My hair is just not growing I don’t even like to do any thing with it if I comb or brush it hair is coming out making me have bold spots so I wear wigs and braids to make it look like something or I am wearing head pieces

• Keranique Hair says:

Hi Valerie, we are so sorry to hear about your hair. Our KeraViatin supplements have been carefully formulated with a proprietary, powerhouse blend of hair and scalp antioxidants and nutrients providing real absorption, allowing you to experience the full benefits of the vitamins. KeraViatin promotes the growth of stronger, fuller, thicker, and healthier hair. You can see more here: http://www.keraviatin.com

2. Ruth G. Passmore says:

I have been using your product for sometime. I have had not response to fixing my problem. Your products did nothing for the helping in my hair loss. This is why I stopped using them. I enjoyed the feeling of the shampoo and conditioner. Thanks to all of you.

• Keranique Hair says:

Hi Ruth, we are sorry to hear you feel that way. We understand it can be frustrating waiting on results, but we’re here if you have any questions about what to expect from our products. Continued use of the our Hair Regrowth Treatment with 2% Minoxidil for at least 4 months is usually needed before you start to notice regrowth. Once you’ve experienced initial results, you will continue to see improvement in your hair. Please don’t hesitate to contact us at (888)237-4131, 24 hours a day -if you’d like to discuss your hair care goals and more on what to expect from Keranique.
      Keranique

• Keranique Hair says:

Hi Bel, thank you for reaching out. We have sent a contact request to our Customer Relations team to better assist you in locating your shipment.
      Thanks
      Keranique

3. Wanda Ziemba says:

I have been using your product since November. I had hair thinning all over and it was very distressing. I found myself staring at women with thick hair and feeling jealous, wistful.

After one week, I noticed fewer hairs in my brush and comb. That alone was almost enough…just to not have to see long strands of hair all over after washing my hair or combining it. I am now in my 5th month. The hair on my crown and sides is much thicker. I am kind of in that awkward stage where the older hair (what was left of it) is thin and down to my shoulders and the rest of my hair gets a little bushy. I wear it up a lot to hide the longer thin hair.

I feel good about the product and my progress. I knew it would take a while given that hair, especially at my age, grows so slowly. I saw a turn around of hair loss within the first month. My husband notices it too.

• Keranique Hair says:

Hi Wanda, Thank you so much for sharing! We’re so glad to hear you’re happy and enjoying your products ❤ Keep it up! Now that you’re experiencing initial results, you should expect to continue to see improvement. Can’t wait to hear more about your hair journey 😊