Shampooing is an important part of a healthy hair hygiene regimen. Washing your hair removes buildup caused by too much oil on your scalp as well as environmental impurities that can accumulate over time from outdoor debris such as pollution. Like with most things in life, there can be too much of a good thing, and washing your hair too often also fits into this category. When you wash your hair too much, you can dry it out which can lead to a lack of moisture, and as a result decreased shine. Healthy hair has the right balance of hydration and strength, while unhealthy hair is dry with strands that are weak and brittle. When you wash your hair the right amount, you can remove impurities and buildup without removing the beneficial moisture that is necessary to keep it healthy. Below is a list of signs to look out for that may signify that you are washing your hair too much.
- If your hair has become dry, this can be a sign you are washing it too much. Though it is important to cleanse your hair if you do it too much it can remove the moisture from your hair. This is especially true if you use cleansers that are harsh and contain sulfates. Many shampoos contain these damaging chemicals that completely strip hair of its natural oils, so finding a shampoo with nourishing ingredients can reduce how dry your hair appears over time.
- If your hair is frizzy, this can be a sign that you wash your hair too much and it has dried out as a result. Frizzy hair occurs as a result of hair not being properly hydrated, which can often be brought on when you completely remove your hair’s protective oils by washing it too much. Often, for those with curly hair, when the hair becomes frizzy and puffy, this can be a sign of a lack of hydration, which can often be brought on by over washing. Curly hair requires more moisture than straight hair, so making sure to not over wash and maintain adequate hydration is important to maintain hair health.
- If your hair feels squeaky after you wash it, this can be a sign that you are washing it too much and stripping it of its moisture as a result. This dries out the hair which increases the risk of breakage and damage. Protective moisture that keeps the hair hydrated and supple can be washed away if you’re cleansing every day and seeing these results.
- If your hair has become dull, you may be washing it too much. When your hair is stripped of its natural oils, hair may lose its natural shine, causing it to appear dull and straw-like, rather than silky with a pleasant sheen.
- If your hair requires extra conditioning or oils, you may be washing it too much. Using hair masks can be a simple way to penetrate dry hair and give it an instant facelift. However, if you find yourself requiring weekly hair masks for months at a time to cope with how dry, tangled and unruly your hair is, you may need to rethink how often you’re washing your hair.
Did you notice that you have any of the signs of over washing your hair mentioned above? If so, do you plan on changing your hair washing routine? Finding the right balance in a haircare routine is something that Keranique knows a lot about. We offer various products to help increase moisture in the hair that can be caused in part by over washing. One of our products that helps to add hydration and nutrients to hair is our Marula Oil Hair Treatment Mist which can help replenish hair and decrease dryness that has been brought on by over washing.
If you are looking to maintain healthy, hydrated and strong hair, keeping a balanced hair care routine is important to achieve your goals. Keranique knows a lot about how to keep hair healthy and strong. We specialize in products that help promote hair growth, strength and vitality by providing hydration and essential nutrients that help your hair to be the best it can be.
If you enjoyed this article please SHARE with your friends and family who may also want to know if they are washing their hair too much.
This article is not intended to treat any disease or offer a substitution for professional medical advice.