Have you ever experienced an itchy scalp? If you have you know that it can be embarrassing and sometimes even painful. If you keep itching your scalp frequently, you could cause more irritation and even hair loss. One of the most common causes of a dry, itching scalp could be from the dry weather. Other causes include dandruff, infections, poor diet or even anxiety and stress.1
However, there are a lot of home remedies for a dry and itchy scalp that is very inexpensive and include items that are probably already in your kitchen and pantry. Here are some to try:
- Tea tree oil. Tea tree oil is a powerful, natural antifungal, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory. Try adding 10 to 20 drops of tea tree oil to your shampoo or conditioner.1
- Lemon juice. Lemon juice has antiseptic properties and can help when dealing with dandruff. Try squeezing a fresh lemon directly onto your scalp. Leave on for five minutes and then wash with a mild shampoo.1
- Baking soda. Baking soda is a natural treatment that can help relieve itching. Make a paste with baking soda and water and apply directly to your scalp. Allow it to soak into your scalp for about 10-15 minutes and then rinse well.1
- Apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar has powerful anti-inflammation properties and can help balance pH levels which can help relieve itching and dryness. Try rinsing your hair directly with the apple cider vinegar. Then rinse out with water and shampoo as normal.1
- Aloe vera. Aloe vera isn’t just for sunburns, it can be for an itchy and dry scalp as well. Spread fresh aloe vera gel directly on your scalp. Let sit for 10-15 minutes and then wash your hair as normal.1
- Coconut oil. Coconut oil is a great natural moisturizer. You can leave it on for 30 minutes or even overnight. Make sure to heat the coconut oil before you apply it to your hair for a treatment.1
- Bananas and Avocados. Bananas and avocados are very moisturizing and can also help relieve the annoying itch. Mash two bananas and mix them together with one ripe avocado. Apply this mixture to your scalp and let sit for about 30 minutes. Then rinse well with warm water.1
- If you prefer a treatment that you can buy, try Keranique Scalp Replenishing Shampoo and Keranique Replenishing Keratin Conditioner. This shampoo and conditioner duo is very helpful, especially if you have thinning hair.
Do you have itchy or dry scalp? Did you know there were so many home remedies to help this issue? What will you try? Share with us by commenting below!
1 – Information from Top 10 Home Remedies