How many hair brushes and combs do you own? Have you ever thought about changing your brush at different times? Using the right brush or comb can help you style your hair and help you maintain a healthier head of hair and scalp. This is especially important if you are looking to prevent breakage and frizz. Here are the different types of hair brushes and when you should be using them:
- A styling brush has natural or synthetic bristles and is a curved brush. These are great for styling hair, creating volume and curling hair under at the ends. They are great for all hair types, especially thicker hair. These types of brushes are great to use while drying your hair with a hairdryer.
- A paddle brush is generally larger, flat and can be rectangular or oval shaped. They usually have natural or synthetic bristles that are softer than a styling brush. Paddle brushes are great for straight hair and if you need to smooth, detangle, reduce frizz or add shine.
- Round brushes are just that… round. They contain natural or synthetic bristles that go all the way around the head of the brush. They may or may not contain vents. These brushes are great for use with a hair dryer to blow out your hair or create waves or curls. If you have shorter hair, use a smaller round brush and a larger round brush if you have very thick or long hair.
- So, what’s the difference between natural bristles and synthetic bristles? Natural bristles are often softer but can be more expensive. However, they can help to smooth your hair and distribute your hair’s natural oils a little better. They are also gentler for any type of hair. Synthetic bristles can help to create less static in your hair but are not recommended for those with fine hair because they can cause breakage. Your best bet is to try a brush that contains both types of bristles for all of the benefits.
- There are also a few different types of combs. A wide-toothed comb is great for detangling your hair and brushing through wet hair to avoid breakage and damage. A fine-tooth rattail comb or teasing brush is great for teasing your hair for added volume.
What type of brushes and combs do you own? What is your hair type? Which is your favorite type of brush or comb? Let us know by commenting below!